020 7650 1200

Pre-inquest review hearing into the death of James Atkinson

A pre-inquest review hearing regarding the death of 23-year-old James Atkinson will be held on Tuesday 10 May 2022 from 1.30pm at Newcastle Upon Tyne Coroner’s Court, Civic Centre, Barras Bridge NE1 8QH. The hearing is in-person only and is listed for one hour.

Posted on 09 May 2022

James died suddenly on 10 July 2020 after ordering a takeaway pizza via the Deliveroo app from Dadyal Restaurant. James had a known nut allergy to peanuts and his family have been told that he may have suffered a severe allergic reaction.

James is originally from Leeds, where his family still live, but moved to Newcastle to study computer science at Newcastle University. After graduating he remained in Newcastle where he lived with friends.

James Atkinson.

James’ parents, Jill and Stuart Atkinson are hoping that the inquest will help them to get answers about the circumstances around his death. Over 2 million people in the UK are living with a diagnosed food allergy and this number is on the rise. Their aim is to ensure that by examining whether lessons could be learned in James’ death, other allergy sufferers can be better protected. They are raising fund for their case through CrowdJustice.

The full inquest into James’ death is currently listed on 19 to 22 October 2022.

James’ family is represented by Thomas Jervis, partner at law firm Leigh Day, who was also part of the legal teams which represented the families of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, Owen Carey and Shante Turay-Thomas. The family have instructed barristers Craig Hassall QC and Helena Spector from Park Square Barristers Chambers.

Thomas Jervis
Consumer law Fire Food safety Inquests Medical devices Personal injury

Thomas Jervis

Thomas Jervis is an internationally recognised leading consumer lawyer

Landing Page
Coroner's Sign

Product safety inquests

Our product safety inquest team has extensive experience in supporting families at inquests

Client Story
Food safety Allergic Reaction Food allergies

Food safety - Natasha's story

Natasha died after eating a sandwich baguette from Pret a Manger and suffering an allergic reaction while on a British Airways flight, her parents' legal fight led to 'Natasha's law' which changed food labelling laws