Mars recalls chocolate products over possible presence of salmonella
Chocolate manufacturer Mars has recalled a number of its products due to the possible presence of salmonella.
Posted on 12 June 2017
Mars issued the recall on Friday 9 June 2017 and warned consumers in the UK and Ireland not to eat the potentially affected products.
The products subject to recall included batches of Galaxy Milk, Counters and Minstrels and a batch of Malteasers Teaser bars.
According to reports a spokesperson for Mars said that the issue had been identified through routine testing and the voluntary recall had been implemented as a precaution.
The spokesperson added:
"We are working closely with the relevant food safety authorities and our customers to ensure that the affected products are no longer available for purchase.”
Anyone who has one of the affected products is warned not to eat them and asked to contact the company’s customer care team to arrange return and reimbursement.
Mars said that no other brands or varieties of its chocolate products had been affected.
Leigh Day has represented a number of clients who have suffered from food poisoning, including a client who contracted salmonella after eating Cadbury’s chocolate.
Michelle Victor, partner in Leigh Day’s Consumer Law and Product Safety team, said:
“Food poisoning can have a serious effect on a person’s health and it is imperative that manufacturers do all they can to ensure their products are safe for consumption.
“It is also critical that once a potential risk is identified that manufacturers work swiftly to alert consumers to the problem, as Mars have done through a voluntary recall of potentially affected products.”
The products subject to recall are:
- Galaxy Milk 200g Bar - product code AC76R, batches 719G1SLO00, 719G2SLO00, with the best before date of May 6, 2018, and batches 720A2SLO00, 720B1SLO00 with the best before date of May 13, 2018.
- Galaxy Milk 4x42g Multipack Bars - product code AF67D, batches 719G1SLO00 and 719G2SLO00 with the best before date of May 6, 2018.
- Galaxy Milk 42g Bar - product code AN22R, batch number 719G2SLO00, with the best before date of May 6, 2018.
- Galaxy Counters 78g Treat Bag - product code AW99N, batch number 719G2SLO00, with the best before date of May, 6, 2018.
- Galaxy Counters 112g Pouch - product code AW99G in Ireland, batch numbers 720B1SLO00 and 720C1SLO00 with best before dates of May 13, 2018.
- Galaxy Minstrels 118g Pouch (Sweet Nights In promotion) – product code BJ30K, batch number 720B1SLO00, with the best before date of May 13, 2018.
- Maltesters Teasers 35g Bar - product code AX46E, batches 720C1SLO00 and 720D2SLO00 in the UK and Ireland, with the best before date of May 13, 2018.
UK consumers can call 0800 952 0084 for reimbursement.