Jill is a personal injury partner with a leading consumer law practice, specialising in product liability cases for individuals and groups. She has successfully concluded cases involving medical devices, pharmaceuticals, bicycles, household products and appliances. She represents those affected by fires and explosions, including survivors of burns.
She is ranked as a ‘band 1’ claimant product liability lawyer in Chambers and Partners UK, and is named as a ‘leading individual’ in The Legal 500.
Jill has acted for families in a number of high-profile inquests, which have resulted in proposals for changes to the law. She is a contributing author to “Coroners’ Investigations and Inquests” published by LexisNexis.
Jill acted as lead solicitor and settled the Corin metal-on-metal group action, a prominent prosthetic hip failure group action. She is interested in emerging areas of product-related / assisted medicine, including robotic surgery and artificial intelligence.
What the directories say
Jill has a very kind and warm manner and showed great care for our situation before the case was even started. She made me feel at ease and informed about everything that I needed to know from the onset. She provided great consolation in what was a very difficult time.
Chambers and partners 2024
What people say
"The hardships people have to face mean it's really important to find the right law firm to support you in this very vulnerable space. Leigh Day chipped away at my case in a very methodically, logical way and we won some compensation." April via Trustpilot
"I want to thank you for your great concern to get things right, your frankness, intense research, updates, friendliness and above all, professionalism." - Robyn Northwood.
"I am writing to send you my profound and heartfelt thanks for all your hard work over the last few years. You have been incredibly tenacious and patient throughout this long process." - Ms Y O
"Absolutely 100% satisfaction, many thanks to all the team and credit to Leigh Day." - Mrs G R
"Always a professional, friendly service, and a good rapport with Jill and the team." - Mrs A C
"I can only thank everyone concerned with my case for making a complicated affair (for me) very simple. I never had any concerns." - Mrs T H
Jill is widely regarded as one of the UK’s best claimant product liability lawyers. She has over two decades of experience, including in the most significant cases.
- Inquests: Jill has acted for families in a number of high-profile inquests, including the family of Santosh Benjamin, who died in a house fire caused by a faulty Beko fridge freezer. Coroner Andrew Walker made a number of recommendations in order to improve the recall system and the safety of household appliances. She also represented the family of Shante Turay-Thomas, who died of anaphylaxis after her mother called NHS 111 and waited for almost an hour before an ambulance arrived. Jill currently acts for the parents of 2-year-old Sadie Salt who died following an incident at her nursery. Jill is currently supporting Oliver Steeper's family at his inquest. Nine-month Oliver died after a choking incident at the nursery he attended in Ashford, Kent. She is representing the family of James Atkinson who died of suspected anaphylaxis after ordering food via the Deliveroo app.
- Food safety: Jill represented the family of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, a 15-year-old girl who died of anaphylaxis as a result of ingesting hidden sesame in a Pret-a-Manger baguette. She went on to help the family achieve “Natasha’s Law”.
- Group claims: Jill is a very experienced group claims lawyer, having worked on and led numerous significant group actions. She currently acts for hundreds of Liverpool FC fans who were affected by the events surrounding the Champion’s League final at the Stade de France in May 2022.
- Consumer goods: Jill has represented individuals and families against well-known manufacturers such as Beko, Bosch and Whirlpool in claims arising out of fires or carbon monoxide poisoning linked to consumer goods. She has a particular interest in assisting survivors of burns, having witnessed the psychological and physical effects these incidents can have.
- Medical products: Jill acted as the lead solicitor and achieved successful negotiation of settlement in one of the prominent metal on metal prosthetic hip failure group actions. She has also successfully represented a number of patients who were implanted with allegedly defective heart defibrillator leads, knee and ankle components. She recently settled a claim against the Danish manufacturer of a surgical device which malfunctioned and led to intra-operative nerve damage.
- Bicycles: Jill represents cyclists who have been injured as a result of defects with their bikes or equipment. She has experience of claims arising out of defective forks, brakes and cycle racks, as well as cases where services have not been carried out to standard.
- Insurance: Jill represented a group of companies who suffered property damage and business interruption following the Buncefield explosion at Hemel Hempstead. She also acted for people affected by a fire at a large self-store unit in Tottenham.
- Pharmaceuticals: Acted in the Oral Contraceptive Pill litigation, the Dopamine Agonist litigation, and claims arising out of the withdrawal from the UK market of the arthritis drug, Vioxx.
- International: Jill has been closely involved with a number of the firm’s high profile international group claims, including claims in Kenya, the Ivory Coast, and Swaziland.
Jill cares deeply about product safety, patient and consumer rights. She continues to call for an overhaul of the product safety regime in the UK, and works with MPs, consumer groups and other interested parties.
Jill is an accredited member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL), co-ordinator of APIL’s Multi-Party Special Interest Group and a member of their Consumer Panel. She is a member of the Pan-European Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL).
Jill is the founding Chair of Leigh Day’s Women’s Committee and a member of Women in the Law UK.
Jill Paterson in the news
Jill has been quoted in national and local newspapers, and has been interviewed and appeared on national radio and television, including on Channel 4 News, BBC Radio 4’s You and Yours, Victoria Derbyshire, BBC News and ITV's This Morning 11.2.16 (at 5:28), when she contributed to the debate on the dangers of tumble dryers.
- Regulator in the US has ruled parents can now apply for refunds from Fortnite - will it come here? ITV 21.9.23
- Law firms push ahead with legal case against UEFA after damning Paris final report Liverpool Echo 14.2.23
- Lawyers of traumatised Liverpool fans say report blaming Uefa boosts case Guardian 14.2.23
- Baby boy chokes to death at nursery as heartbroken parents pay tribute to ‘perfect’ tot The Sun 7.2.23
- 'He was just perfect': Parents of nine-month-old boy who died after choking at nursery pay tribute to 'the best baby you could have wished for' - as they vow to appeal CPS decision to not bring criminal charges Mail online 7.2.23
- Sadie Salt: Pre-inquest review set for toddler who choked on sausage Borehamwood Times 17.11.22 + Watford Observer 17.11.22
- Liverpool fans plan 1,700-strong legal action against Uefa over Paris final Guardian 23.9.22
- Robotic surgery from the litigator's perspective J.P.I. Law 2021, 4, 218-224
- Rise of the robots PI Focus May 2019
- Litigation funders: Consumer Rights Act class actions could have “far-reaching consequences” Litigation Futures 1.10.15
- Beko widow calls for tough punishment on safety breaches Evening Standard 30.9.14
- Saving lives is not enough 23.6.21
Surviving burns: rehabilitation, support and leading a limitless life 7.6.21
What the directories say
Jill Paterson is a constant joy to work with, Jill will always steer a claim exactly where it needs to go and never backs down. She has an innate sense of how to navigate any problem and all the tools in her armoury to get the best outcome.
Legal 500 2024
News and blogs
E-bike and e-scooter safety concerns highlighted
Product safety lawyers have welcomed a BBC investigation into e-bike and e-scooter safety.
Law firm representing injured and traumatised Liverpool FC fans push forward with legal claim against UEFA
Liverpool FC fans affected by events at the 2022 Champions League should be recompensed for the trauma they experienced at last season’s Champions League final, say Leigh Day.
Leigh Day investigating Stade de France group claim on behalf of Liverpool FC fans
Law firm Leigh Day is investigating a group claim legal action on behalf of Liverpool FC fans, and others, who attended the UEFA Champions League final at the Stade de France in Paris on 28 May 2022.
Pre-inquest review hearing into the death of James Atkinson
A pre-inquest review hearing regarding the death of 23-year-old James Atkinson will be held on Tuesday 10 May 2022 from 1.30pm at Newcastle Upon Tyne Coroner’s Court, Civic Centre, Barras Bridge NE1 8QH. The hearing is in-person only and is listed for one hour.