020 7650 1200

House fire victim launches High Court proceedings against Argos

Jessica Watts returned home from the school run to find her kitchen on fire

Posted on 28 June 2018

A 36 year old woman from Derbyshire has launched formal legal proceedings against the retail giant Argos following a house fire allegedly caused by a Bush washing machine purchased from the store.

Jessica Watts from Ripley in Derbyshire, bought the washing machine in November 2016. In October 2017 she returned home after returning from a school run to discover her kitchen on fire and her home engulfed in smoke.  

No one was physically injured and her three dogs escaped to the garden through a flap fitted in the back door.  It is alleged that the fire was caused by the Bush washing machine which she had purchased from Argos online.

Jessica was forced out of her home because the fire made it uninhabitable and had to find alternative accommodation for herself, her daughter and her three dogs.   

Her kitchen was destroyed by fire and every other room and their contents, including beds, bedding, toys, cots and clothes have been coated in and contaminated  by the black toxic smoke produced by the fire.    

Both she and her children currently remain in short-term alternative accommodation and have been unable to return home.

Thomas Jervis, specialist product liability lawyer at Leigh Day, who is representing Jessica’s family says:

“We have today issued proceedings against Argos Limited in the High Court.  Our client alleges that the Bush Washing machine that she purchased from Argos was neither safe, fit for purpose or of a satisfactory quality.”