Olive has significant and extensive experience of assisting those with complex and high-value clinical negligence claims.
She has been ranked by the two leading legal directories as a recommended lawyer in the area of clinical negligence for many years as she is a specialist known for her work on complex injury claims.
These have included (but are not limited to) claims involving cauda equina; spinal cord injury; cerebral palsy; brain damage; cardiac surgery; undiagnosed TB meningitis; septicaemia; cerebral palsy; undiagnosed endocarditis; drug toxicity; anaesthetic negligence; 3rd and 4th degree perineal tears; thrombosis and pulmonary embolism; amputation.
In 2021 Olive was invited to join the expert inquiry panel investigating racial injustice in maternity care by human rights charity Birthrights.
What people say
"Olive Lewin is a force of nature who has excellent interpersonal skills which appeal to clients and counsel alike." - Legal 500 2024
One of the best solicitors I have ever worked with. Has extensive experience in medical negligence work, very thorough and detailed, and achieves excellent outcomes for the client."
Tony Sirimanna, Consultant Audiological Physician at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children.
- Hassell v Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, where Olive was the solicitor instructed on behalf of the claimant. This was a significant claim on the issue of consent in a spinal cord injury claim. The claimant recovered in excess of £4.4 million.
- A settlement for £1 million where a young mother died as a result of missed sepsis within 24 hours of delivering her baby.
- A settlement for £16 million for a client who suffered spinal cord injury (tetraplegia) following undiagnosed TB meningitis.
- A settlement for in excess of £11,000,000 for a client who suffered brain damage following an anaesthetic error.
- A claim for £750,000 on behalf of a client who was left with neurological problems following Lithium Toxicity.
Olive is a member of the Spinal Injuries Association, AvMA and the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.
What the directories say
An extremely perceptive lawyer who always goes the extra mile.
Chambers and partners 2024
Olive Lewin in the news
- Year-long inquiry finds systemic racism in UK maternity care The Canary 23.5.22
- Jessye Norman’s brother sues hospital over back surgery that left singer ‘paralysed’ Times 1.10.21
- Jessye Norman’s family sue over treatment that allegedly left her paralysed Guardian 30.9.21
- Would you sue if your op went wrong? Patients can be awarded millions if they weren’t warned of dangers. Mailonline 5.10.20
- Woman in her 40s wins £11million compensation from NHS hospital after anaesthetic blunder during routine Achilles operation left her severely brain damaged Mailonline 25.11.19
- NHS agrees to pay millions to woman left paralysed by TB meningitis BMJ 1.10.18
Multi-million-pound settlement secured for man left paralysed following missed diabetes diagnosis
A man who developed a spinal cord abscess after a failure to diagnose his diabetes has been secured a multi-million-pound settlement.
Mother died after suffering a second serious medical negligence incident
In 1998, Mrs L was expecting her third child. She underwent an emergency Caesarean Section for pre-eclampsia at 34 weeks gestation. She suffered a placental abruption with 700 mls blood loss.