Shazia Yamin is a partner in the international and group litigation department and specialises in large-scale product liability litigation. She is a litigator with over 10 years’ experience and has particular expertise in consumer group actions.
Shazia joined the firm as an assistant solicitor in 2015 and became a partner in April 2021.
What people say
"Shazia Yamin is incredibly personable, knowledgeable and experienced within the sector. She produces such a high standard of work – an exceptional lawyer." - Legal 500 2023
Shazia was one of two partners leading the Volkswagen NOx Emissions Group Litigation, which was a group action brought on behalf of over 90,000 vehicle owners following allegations of emissions test cheating in diesel vehicles.
The case was resolved in May 2022 following an out of court settlement which resulted in a payment of £193m being made to the claimants.
She is leading a further group action against the Volkswagen Group following allegations of emissions cheating in vehicles with later engine models and has also worked on a similar claim against Mercedes-Benz.
What our clients say
The company Leigh Day have been very informative, clear and helpful in this national matter against VW on false emissions claim. We are delighted with the total service over these 7 years to a satisfactory outcome.
Isabel Rodway via Trustpilot
Read Shazia's blogs
- Group Litigation Orders in consumer group litigation: the renewed case for reform 21.10.22
- What’s in the Queen’s Speech 2022 for consumers, and what’s missing? 12.5.22
- Consumer group actions: a vital pathway to corporate accountability 7.7.21
Shazia in the news
- Volkswagen will pay £193MILLION to more than 90,000 people after settling High Court claim over 'dieselgate' emission scandal Mail online 26.5.22
- Volkswagen settles initial ‘dieselgate’ claims with £193m payout The Guardian 25 May 2022
- Dieselgate: British car buyers’ claim against VW reaches high court, The Guardian, 5 December 2021
- Dieselgate: would you sue Volkswagen? The Times, 28 May 2021
- Dieselgate: Volkswagen faces fresh allegations over Porsche and Audi, ENDS Europe, 26 February 2021
What the directories say
Shazia is very pragmatic, which helps her cut through complexities and the difficulties, especially in a huge piece of litigation. She sees everything through the lens of her clients and is absolutely exceptional.
Chambers and partners 2024
Lawyers representing Volkswagen and Mercedes diesel owners welcome German court ruling
The law firm Leigh Day, which represents thousands of UK car owners involved in so-called ‘dieselgate’ emissions claims, has welcomed a court ruling in Germany that manufacturers should pay compensation to owners of vehicles fitted with illegal emissions controlling devices.
Group Litigation Orders in consumer group litigation: the renewed case for reform
Partner Shazia Yamin, who led on the first Volkswagen emissions group action, and solicitor Claire Powell, discuss the need for reform in consumer group litigation and consider how different procedural mechanisms in other jurisdictions operate.
What our clients say
You took on the VW organisation over the diesel emissions scandal, and won a convincing victory in our British legal system. I’ve received my financial award resulting from the case, for which I sincerely thank you.
Tim via Trustpilot