Client stories – our abuse cases
If you have a question for our abuse team please get in touch today
At Leigh Day, we’ve represented victims of many kinds of abuse for more than 30 years. During this time, we’ve helped support some survivors in sharing their stories, speaking up against their abuser to try and gain closure and move forward with their lives.
From care home to child abuse cases, this page contains just some of the claims our specialist abuse team have successfully worked on. These cases include huge investigations into institutions such as Great Ormond Street Hospital and The Royal Alexandra and Albert School – as well as individual cases from our clients.
For more information about the types of abuse cases Leigh Day has or is currently working on, find the full list of abuse investigations.
Talk to the abuse team
Call us on
Child abuse cases
We’ve helped survivors of child abuse secure compensation and hold those responsible to account, whether the abuse happened recently or decades ago. This has included cases against:
- Great Ormond Street Hospital – A porter from Great Ormond Street Hospital was sentenced to a minimum of 18 years in jail for sexual offences against young male patients.
- Physical abuse – Our team successfully obtained an out-of-court settlement for a young boy who experienced physical abuse at a private school for children with learning difficulties.
- Sports abuse – Former football coach, Barry Bennell, was charged with further counts of sexual abuse in 2020, after being convicted of 50 child abuse offences in 2018.
Care home abuse cases
Our specialist abuse team have represented both young and vulnerable people seeking compensation and closure for the abuse they faced in care. This includes investigations into:
- Wisteria Lodge – Alison Millar, head of our abuse team, has represented several child abuse survivors at Wisteria Lodge.
- Lambeth Redress Scheme – We’ve successfully represented survivors of the Lambeth Redress Scheme, including securing £125,000 for a woman who experienced abuse inside Shirley Oaks Children's Home.
- Islington Council – Our team helped a member of Islington Survivors Network successfully sue Islington Council for the sexual abuse she faced in a children’s home.
School abuse cases
We’re committed to representing clients who sadly experienced abuse in a school setting, either by an adult breaching their position of power and trust, or by one or more of their peers. This includes cases involving:
- Royal Alexandra and Albert School – Jonathan received £540,500 in compensation after our team helped him bring a legal claim against Royal Alexandra and Albert School.
- Swaylands School – We’ve helped several former pupils settle claims for physical, sexual and emotional abuse at Swaylands School.
- Shebbear College – Our abuse team successfully represented Scott when bringing a claim against the sexual abuse he faced while in boarding school.
Hospital abuse cases
Our abuse team have represented patients who experienced sexual, emotional and physical abuse in a healthcare setting, including:
- Winterbourne View – Eleven staff members were prosecuted and six jailed following a string of physical abuse reports inside Winterbourne View Hospital.
- Essex mental health hospital – We helped secure compensation for a female patient who experienced sexual abuse by a health care assistant at the hospital.
- Yew Trees Hospital – We’re currently investigating claims of emotional and verbal abuse by staff at this former mental health unit.
Sexual abuse cases
We’re not afraid to challenge cases of sexual abuse in several professional settings and have helped secure settlements for our clients. This has included cases for:
- Army cadets – Two leaders were jailed for sexually abusing and grooming a teenage girl in their troop.
- Workplace harassment – We helped our client successfully bring a personal injury claim against her employer after experiencing sexual harassment by a co-worker.
- Queen’s Medical Centre – A doctor was charged with five counts of sexual abuse by two male patients in his care in 2020.
Contact the abuse team
Have you or a loved one suffered sexual, emotional or physical abuse while in school, at hospital or in any other setting? Speak to someone from our specialist team of abuse lawyers.
They will listen to your story and offer advice on the best next steps to take.
Talk to the abuse team
Call us on