Olive has significant and extensive experience of settling complex and high-value clinical negligence claims. She has been ranked by the two leading legal directories as a recommended lawyer in the area of medical negligence for many years, with the 2011 edition of Chambers guide to the legal profession rating her as ‘highly regarded for her work on complex claims involving such issues as brain injury and kidney damage’.
Olive handles a variety of clinical negligence claims but has particular expertise and has successfully settled cases in the following areas:
- Cauda equina syndrome claims: Olive is currently handling a number of cases on behalf of clients who have been left with saddle anaesthesia, i.e. numbness from the waist down to the top of the thighs and has obtained significant sums of compensation for clients who suffer from this condition
- GP negligence: Olive has a particular interest in obtaining compensation for clients or their families when GPs misdiagnose, mistreat or treat patients negligently. She has achieved a six figure sum for the family of a young man who died after being prescribed Zyban by his GP, when he was already taking another drug, Citalopram. The combination of the two drugs, with another drug subsequently added, was fatal. She has settled a case for £2m on behalf of a man who suffered brain damage as a result of lithium toxicity when his GP failed to carry out regular monitoring.
- Olive has extensive experience in obtaining compensation for families whose babies have been born with cerebral palsy after negligent management of their deliveries. In 2009 alone she achieved multi-million pound settlements on behalf of five children who suffered severe cerebral palsy as a result of unrecognised fetal distress and delay. She has also settled a case for almost £5 million on behalf of a young woman who was left profoundly deaf, and with severe tinnitus, sensitivity and pain when she was given Gentamicin as a new-born. This is the largest settlement ever achieved for pure deafness. Olive has also settled cases on behalf of women who have suffered severe injury during childbirth, such as fourth degree tears.
- Olive has extensive experience of settling claims for clients who have suffered medical negligence in hospitals, either during or after surgery. These cases include brain injury, spinal injury, and kidney damage. She settled a case for £1.5m on behalf of a young man who was left with significant brain damage after surgery for a sliding hernia was carried our negligently and a six-figure sum for a girl who was injured during surgery for a congenital heart problem. She also obtained compensation for a boy whose fingers had to be amputated soon after he was born because of hospital error. A large number of Olive’s clients are awarded annual payments as well as lump sums.
- Olive has successfully obtained substantial compensation for women who have suffered 3rd and 4th degree perineal tears during childbirth, and whose injuries were negligently managed.
Olive has advised the British Cardiology Society on Human Rights for the 5th UK cardiology review.