Carbon monoxide poisoning - Kevin's story
Kevin Branton died on 13 November 2010 as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning
The inquest into the death of Kevin Branton found that he died on 13 November 2010 as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning arising from the operation of the grill of a Flavel Milano 50 Cooker, produced by Beko, with the grill door shut. He was 32 when he died.
Kevin and his friend Richard Smith, both died in November 2010 when they were overcome with the gas which has no smell.
The cooker has a complete seal around its oven, if the grill is used with the door shut it can start to produce carbon monoxide.
Kevin was an administrative officer for the Child Support Agency and lived in Saltash in Cornwall.
Kevin’s mother, Denise Branton, has talked about her ‘devastation’ at his death.
What our clients say
I would not want anybody else to have to live through the horror and devastation of losing a loved one in this way.
“Kevin was a person who loved life. He loved working and loved to spend his money socialising with his friends. He will be missed every day.
"We need to make people aware. I will not stop fighting for this, for Kevin, for Richard and for all the others."
The inquest into Kevin’s death brought a verdict of accidental death.
Beko has recalled the ovens. You can check recall notices on the manufacturers’ website.