Additional SQE funding
Additional SQE funding
We believe in increasing accessibility to the claimant legal profession for all aspiring lawyers and are delighted to be able to offer additional funding to help cover SQE tuition and preparation costs for trainees who have received an offer from Leigh Day.
The additional funding will only be awarded to individuals based on financial need.
Assessing financial need
We use RARE (CRS) to contextualise the socio-economic and personal circumstances of an applicant during the period they were/ are in full time education.
A series of questions covering these circumstances will be asked to assess your need for the scholarship fund. You will not automatically receive confirmation that your circumstances meet the eligibility criteria at the point of application.
The information you share at application stage is self-certified. Should you be successfully selected for the additional funding, you will be expected to provide evidence of your need, before it can be awarded.
Please find a list of the typical circumstances you will be asked and examples of evidence you would need to provide, if successful:
- Were you eligible for free school meals = Local Authority statements or proof of household income
- Did you regularly undertake paid work during term time = Employment contracts or payslips
- Are you or have you been a registered carer = Local Authority statements
- Have you spent time in care = Local Authority statements
- Did you come to the UK as a refugee/ asylum seeker = UK Visas and Immigration documentation
Confirming your wish to be considered for the additional funding
We do not require an active 'opting-in' to be considered for the additional funding, but to be considered, you must answer the Contextual Information questions throughout the application.
Additional funding award terms
- You have not already commenced or completed your LPC/ SQE1 and SQE2
- You can provide evidence of the circumstances used to assess financial need
- You have accepted a Trainee Solicitor offer from Leigh Day for 2023
- Should you fail to complete the SQE1 and/or SQE2, decline the Trainee Solicitor offer after receiving the award, choose to leave the firm, or are dismissed prior to completing your traineeship, you will repay the total amount of the additional funding
- Should you choose to leave the firm or are dismissed for any reason after completing your traineeship, you will not be required to repay any of the additional funding