020 7650 1200
Show Site Navigation

Personal injury FAQs

How long do I have to bring my claim?

In a personal injury case, there is a three year “limitation period” within which you can bring a legal claim.  The three years start to run from the date of the accident, but it may be later than this i.e. the date you identify a connection between your symptoms and what caused them as being as a result of an accident or incident.   In all circumstances it is advisable to seek legal advice as soon as possible. 

In certain circumstances it is possible to ask the court to let your claim proceed despite the fact that it is over three years since your accident.  Leigh Day & Co has particular experience of bringing cases “out of time”.

Will I have to attend a medical appointment? 

In most circumstances you will need to be examined by an independent doctor for your legal claim.  We will look to arrange a mutually convenient appointment for you as close to your home as possible.

How long will it take to bring a claim?

It is very difficult to give a clear estimate, because every case depends on the circumstances.  We will advise you of all the steps that need to be taken to progress your claim and provide you with regular updates.

Can I still bring a case if the victim has died?

Yes, cases are commonly brought by the widow/widower of the victim, or by the executors who are named in the victim’s will.

What compensation will I get?

You will be entitled to two kinds of damages for your injury. The first is called “general damages” and is awarded the pain and suffering caused by your injury. 

The second is called special damages and covers actual financial losses and expenses arising from your injury. This can include lost earnings, care given to you by your friends and family, costs of treatment, travel costs and many other expenses.

Do you take cases on a “no win, no fee” basis? Does that mean I won’t have to pay anything at all?

For more information on funding your case please read our page on conditional free agreements.

What happens if I have a serious injury and can no longer work or care for myself?

More serious injuries, resulting in life-long incapacity affecting someone's ability to work and to care for themselves, will attract the larger awards. The compensation consists mainly of compensation for future losses for example lost earnings and expenses including treatment and care but can also pay for more new accommodation, if, for example you need a wheelchair assessable house.

If you recover well from your injury, however serious it was at first, then your potential claim will probably be limited to a claim for general damages, plus some loss of earnings and incidental expenses.

The figures awarded for general damages are determined by judges by comparison with similar injuries and are frequently lower than expected, even for very serious injuries.

What type of personal injury cases can we assist you with?

Leigh Day & Co undertakes all types of personal injury cases including accidents at work, road traffic crashes, cycling accidents, industrial disease including exposure to asbestos  and are experienced in helping clients who have a range of injuries including:

I want to claim against my employer, will I lose my job if I make a claim?

There is no reason for you to lose your job. There are a number of Employment laws that protect you in the event that you make a claim against your employer. Your employer has a legal responsibility for your health and safety at work. In the event you lose your job our Employment Team that may be able to assist you.

Why should I choose Leigh Day & Co?

Leigh Day & Co is listed in Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession and The Legal 500 as one of the leading firms for representing claimants in Personal Injury cases.  

Our lawyers are members of professional bodies such as the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL), Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL), The Limbless Association, and some of them sit on specialist committees of these organisations.

How can I contact you?

To speak to one of our lawyers, please call 020 7650 1200 and ask to speak to our personal injury team. Alternatively, please complete our online enquiry form .

Share this page: Print this page

To discuss your case

More support and information