Our sectors

We treat all personal data in accordance with our privacy policy.

Carers and employment rights

More and more of us have caring responsibilities, whether for children, grandchildren or for older relatives.  If you are a carer and also work you have the right to request flexible working if you meet certain criteria.

Juggling work and caring can be extremely challenging. Your employer can make a real difference to your life as a carer by adopting a creative and flexible approach to working arrangements. Sadly for many employees this is far from reality.

Our employment solicitors have extensive knowledge and experience in helping and advising carers on their employment rights, and what legal remedies exist to help carers balance their careers and caring duties. 
front cover and link to Flexible working for carers: a guide to your rights when juggling carring and workWe have produced a practical guide on the workplace rights of carers which explains changes to the law which come into force in June 2014 and gives guidance on how to make a flexible working request. 

Significantly more women than men are carers and work part-time, often because of their need to care for relatives.  Women are much more likely to need flexible working arrangements, whether on a short-term or long-term basis.

Often women face discrimination in the workplace and if they are unable to come to an agreement with their employers on flexible working may drop out of employment altogether.
Our discrimination lawyers are here to help you if you have faced discrimination in the workplace, and if you are trying to set up a flexible working pattern with an employer who refuses to consider your request.

If you work part-time because you are a carer you must not be treated differently from your full-time colleagues, and you may have a claim for discrimination if you believe this is the case.

If you think that you have been turned down for flexible working because of your association with a disabled person, for example if you look after a disabled child, you may have a claim for disability discrimination by association. 

If you are a carer and would like to speak to a member of Leigh Day’s employment and discrimination team please contact us on 020 7650 1200 or email us and a member of the team will get back to you shortly.

Share this page: Print this page

Let us call you back at a convenient time

We treat all personal data in accordance with our privacy policy.

To discuss your case